We asked our members to help us determine the agenda. They voted on a host of issues, and identified the following top 10:
- Protect the environment, including clean air, water, wildlife habitat and land preservation. Protect the EPA, and prevent the weakening of environmental regulations.
- Fight back against climate change. Support policies to reduce carbon emissions. Tell the scientific truths! Fight fracking, tar sands, mountain-top mining and other destructive and carbon intensive activities.
- Evolve Affordable Care Act towards the public option / universal single-payer system.
- Protect voting rights. Stop the laws that make it difficult for minorities, the elderly, the poor, and students to vote. Require electronic voting machines to have verifiable, paper backup.
- Limit the influence of money in politics. Fight to reverse the Citizens United. Support campaign finance reform.
- Fight racial injustice. End police brutality, unequal incarceration rates, unequal pay and employment.
- Fight economic inequality. Raise the minimum wage to the living wage. Protect bargaining rights for public employees and unions.
- Protect a woman's right to reproductive choice. Support family planning, education and easy access to health services. Keep funding Planned Parenthood.
- Support gun safety legislation. Renew the assault weapons ban, close the gun show loophole, and require background checks for all gun purchasers.
- Protect and strengthen Social Security and Medicare.
Obviously, our small group does not have the manpower or funding to take on the above issues alone!
We will, however, contact established groups already fighting for these issues and offer the support of our bus and volunteers.
You can help - if you have contacts in groups already engaged in the issues above, you can act as a liaison! Please let us know.