We asked our members to help us determine the agenda. They voted on a host of issues, and identified the following top 10:
- Fight back against climate change. Support policies to reduce carbon emissions. Tell the scientific truths! Fight fracking, tar sands, mountain-top mining and other destructive and carbon intensive activities.
- Protect the environment, including air, water, wildlife habitat and land preservation. Protect the EPA, and prevent the weakening of environmental regulations. Roll back all of Trump's anti-environmental executive orders.
- Support gun control legislation. Renew the assault weapons ban, close the gun show loophole, and require background checks for all gun purchasers.
- Protect voting rights. Stop the laws that make it difficult for minorities, the elderly, the poor, and students to vote. Require electronic voting machines to have verifiable, paper backup.
- Fight economic inequality. Raise the minimum wage to the living wage. Protect bargaining rights for public employees and unions. Remove loopholes and subsidies that favor wealthy Americans and Corporations. End incentives that move jobs overseas. Enact progressive tax laws to ensure the wealthy pay their fair share.
- Limit the influence of money in politics. Fight to reverse the Citizens United. Support campaign finance reform and public funding for elections.
- Treat health care as a human right. Fight for Medicare for All.
- Protect a woman's right to reproductive choice. Support family planning, education and easy access to health services. Keep funding Planned Parenthood.
- Support a real energy policy that expands the use of offshore wind and solar energy. Support the development of more efficient cars, homes, appliances and lighting. Support continued government incentives.
- Fight for real immigration reform. Give undocumented workers a path to citizenship. Welcome and protect refugees. Close detention camps.
Obviously, our small group does not have the manpower or funding to take on the above issues alone!
We will, however, contact established groups already fighting for these issues and offer the support of our bus and volunteers.
You can help - if you have contacts in groups already engaged in the issues above, you can act as a liaison! Please let us know.